The Department of Anaesthesiology at Svastha Hospital uses the most advanced, safe and patient-focused techniques in the delivery of anaesthetic care. Our team of extremely skilled and well-experienced anesthesiologists aims to provide optimum quality patient care not only in the operation theatres but also beyond it by optimizing pre-operative patient status and providing comprehensive patient care during the early post-operative period.
The Department of Anesthesiology at Svastha Hospital is the premiere department in the city for the practice of regional anaesthesia and acute pain medicine for orthopaedics. Our exceptional clinical outcomes on exceptional analgesia, low infection rates, and low thromboembolic phenomena are the direct result of the skill and training of our anesthesiologists, coupled with extensive experience in performing this unparalleled volume of cases. Although we work in a highly specialised environment, anesthesiologists at Svastha Hospital have a diverse background with subspecialty training in paediatric, thoracic, cardiac, pain medicine, critical care, and of course, regional anaesthesia.
Our philosophy is to embrace new and innovative equipment and techniques only after a track record of safety and efficacy has been well established. Research initiatives in the Department of Anesthesiology at Svastha Hospital include a variety of projects related to regional anaesthesia and pain medicine and their applications in orthopaedics.
Our goal is to advance the science or regional anaesthesia and pain medicine through high-quality trials. We collaborate extensively with our world-class colleagues in orthopaedics, rheumatology, radiology, neurology, and paediatrics and this multidisciplinary effort results in exceptional science.
Types of Anesthesia
If you have to undergo any surgery, your doctor will first administer you a drug called ‘anaesthetic’. Anaesthetics reduce or prevent pain during surgical procedures. There are four main types of anesthetics that are used in the healthcare industry. The type of anaesthesia to be used by your doctor depends on many factors like the procedure of your surgery and your current health.
- Local anesthesia: numbs one small area of the body. You stay awake and alert during the procedure.
- Conscious or intravenous (IV) sedation: uses a mild sedative to relax you and a pain medicine to relieve pain. You stay awake, but may not remember the procedure afterwards.
- Regional anesthesia: blocks pain in an area of the body, such an arm or leg. Epidural anesthesia, which is sometimes used during childbirth, is a type of regional anesthesia.
- General anesthesia: acts on your whole body. You go to sleep and feel nothing. You have no memory of the procedure performed.
Our Department of Anesthesia offers outstanding patient care for the full spectrum of medical and surgical procedures at the Svastha Hospital. The services of the department include anesthetic care in:
- Preoperative evaluation
- operating rooms
- Intensive care units
- Catheterization laboratories
- Obstetrical wards
- Recovery rooms
- MRI/CT scanners
- Pain clinics
Anesthesiologists at Svastha Hospital strive hard to make the hospital experience as pleasant as possible. They not only manage the patient’s anxiety before surgery, but also his/her pain after the surgery. Special emphasis is on supporting the bodily functions and reducing the risks associated with surgery.
Services offered by the department are:
- Sedation Services: for painful procedures
- Medical Acupuncture Service: acute and chronic pain management using acupuncture
- Anesthesia Services: anesthesia and pain management for cardiac , thoracic or vascular surgeries
- Pain Treatment Services: management and assistance for acute and chronic pain, (generally post-operative)